Customer: I have fungus growing all over my trees. How can I get rid of it?

Photo of Lichens attached to a tree branch
ANSWER:
I've been asked this question many, many times while visiting customers yards. Believe it not, it doesn't harm the tree . It's called Linchen.  It's a composite organism that rises from algae or cyanobacteria living filaments of a fungus in a symbiotic relationship. 💗   In short, Fungus and Algae living together. 
Lichens do not have roots, but absorb moisture directly into their tissues. In fact a Linchen is not even one organism. One fungus joins with one green algae or photosynthetic bacteria called cyanobacteria, and sometimes both. This special biological relationship is know as symbiosis.
Lichens are the most under appreciated organisms on the planet. They don't need soil to grow, they are actually one of the main agents needed in creating soil. If you touch Lichen with your hands, more than likely you'll kill it. It's much like coral.
If you would like to get it off your trees, you can trim your tree to allow more airflow and sun to flow through. Lichens thrive in shady, humid, moist areas. 

The company Yates  has a product on the market called "Lime Sulfur".  It's used for killing fungus, and you can use it on some edibles. If you decide to purchase this product, please carefully follow their directions on the container before spraying anything. 



Watch this video

Post a Comment

Popular Posts